Translate

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Highschool wasn't Heaven.

"Good morning UHS, this is Alonnah," "And Anna with your morning announcements."

I loved high school. During the 3 1/2 years I spent in that building, I made so many friends, with students and staff and teachers and visitors. I poured my heart out into that place.
3 Years of Track. 2 for Cross Country. 2 in Student Council. 2 School Plays (one on crew my Freshman year, and one on stage as a Senior.) I was in FCA, Drama Club, Varsity Club. I'd stayed after school to paint the walls, run with friends, lift weights, sometimes even just to hang out with those staying after for a different activity. Some days, I'd be at school for 16 hours. Like I said, that place had my heart.

And in December, I graduated.
I've been busy. I've always been. My main things are my new internship and finding a job. But I also spend lots of time at church, with family, friends, learning guitar, writing a blog, ect.
Never a dull moment.

But even with me being busy, January has been hard on me. Because I've missed school. The more I think about it, I poured out so much into something that was over so quick. All those years of track, and I'll never run another race for UHS again. So many early morning Stu Co meetings, and now I won't be going to them. After trying so hard to get people to come to FCA, I won't even be there anymore. No more Drama Club, Cross Country, School Plays. None of it. Because high school is over.

Now please don't think I'm saying everything I did was a waste of time. I'm glad I was so involved, I've made friendships that were golden, and I've learned a lot of different things. But, I wish I would've been more aware of the fact that high school is just 4 years. I didn't seem to think past my high school bubble. I was caught up in the moment of Homecoming, and Courtwarming, and track season, and Prom. And those weren't bad things, but they also weren't everything.

The more I've talked with others about this, the more I realize an almost scary analogy. Being in high school, putting so much into building my high school career, and then suddenly not going anymore.
It reminds me of earth and heaven.

Here we are on Earth. Doing earthy things- getting a job, buying a house, establishing a career, going on cool vacations, enjoying our usual TV show, eating at our favorite restaurant. None of those are BAD things. But they are EARTH things. And we need to remind ourselves that once we get to heaven, these things will have no meaning to us. Whatsoever.

I promise, once we are in the presence of God, we won't be thinking about the Christmas bonus we never got.


I feel like this frees us up a bit too. The feeling we get after we trade in our sweet ride for something a little more humbling due to finances, that won't hurt so much. Because it's just your earth ride. The huge zit on your face, that's not even going to be remembered in heaven. I'm reminded of the song "You Hold Me Now" where it talks about all the things heaven isn't going to have -weeping, hurt, pain, suffering. It's going to be so much better than earth.

But I'll talk about that in my next post.

For now live without pretense. Love. Drink more water. Remember earth is temporary.
A.Diez.